Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Politics of Going to College


I believe that Obama has started a trend and convinced many American’s that it is essential to continue your education after high school. I want to make a point as to why I believe this. The number of people that are living on this planet is increasing everyday, so the openings for jobs are slowly becoming scarce. Parents are raising their kids with the mindset that it is necessary to go to college so they do not have problems when it comes time to look for a career.  As college graduates are becoming older and having kids, they want to support a candidate that will allow their children to receive help from the government when it comes to paying for college. We can see this point being proven with the number of Democrats increasing that are “better-educated” and the growth of college-educated people entering the elections.
I think Santorum is going to have a hard time receiving votes from people who have a college degree because he believes that education is the responsibility of the consumer, the parent. He is not using rational thinking and considering the consequences associated with the idea that it is full responsibility for the parents to be paying for college. I think Romney is thinking rationally and is using conformity to support his thinking. On his website he made a point that is exactly what Obama said in the article, “post-secondary education cannot become a luxury for the few.” His decision is based off of what Americans want to see happen with our government funding towards higher education. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments! Although a college education is a privilege and not a right, it can not be a luxury for the few anymore. I like that Obama and Romney want to provide Americans with that opportunity accept how are they going to do that with such a large American debt. Our country’s debt is not directly related to the education system, but it is. When money gets tighter people find ways to cut anything including education budgets. With that comes with higher tuition. So, I think all the candidates need to be more worried about the economics of money and how to get rid of our debt than whether Americans can go to school. I am not saying that should not be a concern, but if we as a country can stop spending more than what we have, problems like this could eventually take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you were saying about higher education becoming very important in this political debate. People need to recognize that the student's education debt is not something that is going away, but only growing. The increased tuition means increased loans and financial debt for us students. Whoever wins this election will have a direct effect on the higher education community, and for the views of the American population when it comes to knowledge.

    ReplyDelete