Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Leadership and Organizational Excitement"

The article, "Leadership and Organizational Excitement" was focusing on a way to revitalize organizations that are lacking some sort of technique to run a successful business. There were three factors identified on revitalizing an organization. These factors were, organizational development, presence of personnel, and labor relations programs. I found it interesting when author, David Berlew, said that many people within their organization get "excited" about the potential for change, rather than the actual change itself. A leader was founded as someone who is good at creating a game plan and sticking to it to achieve objectives and goals, and have productive, satisfied workers. I think it's a good idea for leaders to include everyone and get everyone involved in business goals. People like feeling "accepted" so a good was to do this is to be fair and give everyone an opportunity to achieve those goals. An objective for the manager to achieve is to make everyone feel stronger. I the article it stated that "exposure to a certain type of leader, like JFK, it leaves people feeling stronger, more confident of being able to determine destinies." This is important for a manager because he/she wants to set a good example for his/her workers. A way the manager of a company can keep staff strong is by giving them a chance to change things. This goes back to what I mentioned earlier about feeling accepted. Three factors tie in with change. First, a common vision of what they are trying to create together and value-congruent manner must be present. Change in an organization provides confidence to individuals and gives them an opportunity to test themselves.

I would strongly agree with anyone that believes that personality matters in leadership. I would not say I completely agree with finding out what type of personality you have by taking a simple test online, but I feel that the results can tell a lot about a person. The five characteristics measure after completing the test are openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. I personally think three of the five closely relate to a person who is a leader.  The three are conscientiousness, because a good leader should be reliable and have an organized game plan for their company, openness to experience because a good leader should be full of ideas and to maximize shareholders wealth, he/she needs to have new, creative ideas. The third characteristic I think a good leader needs to be extremely outgoing, social, and energetic, or better known as extraversion. Having this type of personality is good for a leader because he/she should be able to communicate with staff members and have an open mind when working in groups.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that personality is very important in leadership. I personally feel as though companies should use some type of personality test such as Myers-Briggs to determine if eligible candidates will be good managers or not. If they use systems like this, it would eliminate so many issues between leaders and subordinates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personality is such a hard thing to define in a few simple tests. I agree with you that it should not be used to eliminate canidates for a job, but be used more as a gauge to what certain traits the individual could bring to the table.

    ReplyDelete