Wednesday in class we discussed influence and the extent that pharmaceutical companies go to for their product to be the best in the market. These large companies have the capabilities of investing billions into free gifts, lavish dinners, or even a round of golf at the doctor’s favorite country club. I personally think that this is a good way for these companies to influence doctors to prescribe their medications over the competing brands. These companies are spending millions of dollars on research and experimental testing; so pharmaceutical representatives want to make their companies drug known. By offering free gifts like pens, mugs, and note tablets, the companies goal is to make doctors recognize a certain brand. Think about it this way, doctors use a pen to write out prescriptions all day, for multiple types of medication. If he happens to be writing out a prescription for a certain brand of birth control, he happens to pull out of his pocket a pen that has some birth control company on it, chances are he is going to prescribe that certain brand.
The power of influence is not only present in the pharmaceutical industry. It also ties into common every day appearance, working in groups, and cooperation. Physical appearance is an important factor in being capable of influencing people. The way you dress is another important factors. You do not want a lawyer representing you if he or she is dressing in slippers, sweatpants, and a cut off tee shirt. When working in groups we tend to work with people that are similar to us. I personally think that we as humans adapt to create a social bond with people that we share a common interest with. Cooperation between individuals can be something like dividing a task at work by 50%. You take half and your partner takes the other half. All three of these types of influence create a sense of “liking.” When positive emotions bleed together, a strong healthy relationship is formed that will be hard to break.
I like your take on this topic. I completely agree with you on how doctors prescribe medicine based on perks that they receive from the manufacturer. Just this week I had a terrible cold and had to go to the doctor two times for it. Both times he prescribed medicine that he said was on special from the manufacturer to save me money. These types of perks are all over the place. In terms of how we choose other people to associate with, I think there is far more to it than just they look and act like we do. I think it is beyond just influence and more along the lines of public perception. I do have to agree also about the way you dress. I am an auditor by profession and I can say now if I showed up to a client in sweatpants, I would be off the job instantly and probably not going back to any job with the company. Looks are everything in business.
ReplyDeleteI agree to with the statement about doctors and prescribing which ever medicine gives them perks. Repetition is a key to mastering anything and the pharmaceutical companies’ bank on the repetition to get their product drilled in your head. Influence can be drawn from simple things such as appearance or as little things as a look or body language. How to choose our study groups or social groups we tend to go with like you said the people we have similarities with. Feeling like a part of something in itself has influence over you. For example think of joining a team sport. How they act and what they say are going to have effect on you and influence you one way or another. Looks do matter to get your foot in the door but the knowledge and presence you have will be the things that keep you there and ultimately give you the influence over others.
ReplyDeleteYou are completely right! What I wonder is if there is a way to really stop this because this type of influence especially with the pharmaceutical companies can be deadly. What happens when someone needs a certain type of drug and they are prescribed the wrong brand of drug just because it is “on sale” or the doctor has been pretty much bribed to sell it. I feel like it ruins the point of medicine. But, then again to stop this many would say the government should get involved and make some laws. Me personally, I would rather the government kept their sticky hands out of healthcare.
ReplyDelete